Thursday, December 4, 2008

Culture: the dark side

In several previous posts (1) (2), I discussed how culture could be altered and manipulated to make it provide more happiness for the people it serves. I explained that culture should serve people, not people serve culture. I also discussed how to separate culture from religion, and why this is the right thing to do.

Today, I would like to talk about the “dark side” of this—culture being manipulated for malicious reasons.

I can think of numerous historical examples of this. The most ancient I can think of is the Chinese emperor who built the Great Wall, whose name I cannot remember. He organized the burning of Confucian texts and banned Confucius’s philosophies from China entirely. It apparently worked, considering the fact that he was able to stay in power long enough to build on of the world’s largest construction projects. Next, Napoleon was a master of cultural manipulation. In Egypt and the Middle East, he used Muslim priests to convince the people that he was in fact a hero, not a conqueror. Furthermore, during WWI, WWII, and the Cold War, propaganda in the US completely changed the face of Americanism. The propaganda made it unacceptable to criticize the government, and those who did were not only punished by the government but also shunned by society. It is almost impossible for the people of those eras to imagine today’s anti-Bush literature—in their time, such books could only have been published surreptitiously.

Even scarier than these historical examples, though, is the thought that this might even be happening right now in the US. I suspect that there might be some validity to this idea, especially because of the influence the media has over the US. Media executives claim that the programming they air is based on view ratings, so they are supposedly not influencing it in any way. Though this makes sense, I doubt this is entirely true. Consider reality television, which is a relatively new invention. Before the first reality show aired, almost no Americans had a desire to see that kind of show because they had never even heard of the idea yet. After the fact, though, Americans were suddenly hooked on this new idea. Thus, the idea to air reality TV couldn’t have come from ratings or statistics. My point is that the media clearly does influence us, even though we do influence it to some extent. And, because the media clearly influences us, there is defiantly some tampering with how we think. Fortunately, this does not worry me too much because the media’s main goal is to make money, not pursue some other political agenda (though for some networks this is clearly not the case).

I would also like to add a parting shot at organized religion that relates to this topic. In history and even today, religions have existed that advocate the destruction or forced conversion of other reasons. This happens for two reasons: a) this is part of the original “draft” of the religion and is inherent in it, or b) because some political or religious figure added this in somewhere down the road. What does this mean? Point “a” means that not all religions are inherently neutral or good, which a naïve few do-gooders and altruists still believe. Point “b” means that religions are also subject to this cultural manipulation, which should have been obvious anyway from the historical examples above. The reason I bring this up is because of how often point “b” occurs, meaning that religion is dangerous because it has such a strong hold on culture, thus making it a far too easy target for negative cultural manipulation.

That’s all I have time for today; you are going to have to wait for me to write more on this subject. Next time, if I am not plagued with the ennui that comes from a flow of mindless work, I will go into more detail. Unless, of course, you think I am garrulously rambling on about nothing, in which case you will have to suffer through a few more posts on this topic. 

6 comments:

Brett said...

while I would usually try to argue or support some viewpoint that contradicts yours, I find myself in almost complete agreement with you. I would agree 100%, but my problems lie with minor concepts and statements as opposed to the larger and more important points you mentioned.

perhaps the most interesting question is one which contains an answer we do not know and may never truly know. in this instance, my question is if people recognized if their culture was being manipulated throughout the several events you cited. of course, there is no way to know the pure truth about this. in theory, if one could recognize it, they could also avoid it or go against it.

however, this brings up more interesting thoughts. for the most part, if people did recognize it (which I have a feeling they most likely did), then why does it appear that most of them simply went along with what was occurring? I propose that it meant one of two things (this not to say other things are not possible)-either this people went along with it, or they were in charge of the manipulation.

the concept of someone going along with it is, in my opinion, very complex. this is a person who has come to the understanding that the culture in which they live is being manipulated towards a goal. however, they have chosen to disregard their discovery, and agree to follow the culture manipulation. I suspect this would mean that they were in agreement with the culture, or that they felt pressured into sticking with the culture. the fact that people might give into such pressure, while understandable, still bothers me to an extent. perhaps it is the difference in how people react to this pressure that helps to sift through the masses to produce leaders. somebody always has to go first; if someone can resist this pressure, it makes it easier for those around them to resist it as well, and I actually believe it would facilitate it.

the second possibility is much more obvious. if someone is manipulating culture, they clearly have a goal, and their success can be gauged by how people react to the new direction of the culture.

lastly, I am especially in agreement with you on the religious aspect. many are twisted today to produce certain results. I feel the results produced from religions can be far more drastic in comparison to those produced by culture.

the most obvious example would seem to be the current conflict (or whatever it can be called) with terrorism in the middle east. while I have no exact facts on the topic, I will try to keep any generalizations fair and unbiased, and only use them as instruments for my points. most of the people who seem, to the American public, to be involved in the terrorist activities are of some sect of Islam. their religion is being twisted and manipulated to recruit more people for the cause, and this manipulation is clearly a dangerous tool. however, it would be wrong to disregard that which is occurring in the united states. American people are being manipulated as well (I would like to point to Christianity, but I am not familiar enough with the subject to make such a claim), and this manipulation against one another is quite interesting. both sides are becoming convinced that the other is the wrong.

this brings to what I suppose is a third possibility for those who recognize the manipulation. for me to say both sides are completely under the spell of their manipulated religion would be wrong. the final group would be those who recognize it, but are unable to stop it. if this manipulation is truly occurring, it would appear many people in the country have recognized what is happening. however, the conflict remains unresolved, which shows that those in power are capable of disregarding this recognition and plunging further into the conflict.

of course, your focus is on culture. i suppose all of this demonstrates why culture and religion should be separated, but how they can still be manipulated if separate, and that when combined (such as in today's situation), the results can be staggering. consider the effects on our country, then how things might be different if such things did not occur.

Bill said...

You bring up a very good point, and you have thought of many examples I completely missed. We must remember that both religion and culture are often manipulated by zealots who truly believe in what they are doing.
The key thing to remember, though, is that not all cultural manipulation is a bad thing. Have you read the two posts I mentioned? I believe I left a link to them; I highly recommend you read them and tell me what you think.
In the US, the reason I point to Christianity because of the US’s excessive “blue laws.”
As for culture and religion, I grouped them together because they both influence the way we think. The reason I am so fascinated with culture in the first place is two-fold: a) it is unavoidable and is a necessary part of every society, and b) it shapes the way we think, feel, and act.

Bill said...

**I would also add that very few people probably are aware of cultural manipulation, and even less would want to go along with it even after they figure it out.

Brett said...

true. it can be manipulated by zealots, but by those who are self-serving as well. regardless, it is a good point that many are true believers in what they teach.

I have not yet read your other posts; my response was mainly created for this one. I will try to react to them at some point or other.

personally, while I am not completely familiar with blue laws, I am a fan of the general concept. to close most stores for one day and give most people a mandatory break is (what I consider to be) a good idea. however, I am in agreement with you on its relationship to religion; however, if that could be separated (which is something I think you discussed, though I could be wrong), it would remove its something that could be seen as a negative.

I agree with you on being fascinated by culture. and on grouping them together, I suppose they can both result from the other.

and on manipulation. I feel there is a relatively high sense of awareness in America today, thanks to the fact that the media is not always restricted, and there is a wide variety of documentaries to be found. while that is not to say all of this can be trusted, I think some of it can. however, if someone feels intimidated by this manipulation, or if they are truly powerless, then they may be unable to resist.

though that brings up another interesting point. consider this; some people consider themselves among those who notice the manipulation, and feel that can put themselves outside of it or manage to ignore it. however, it is very possible that they may simply be on a different level of manipulation, in a different stage of it, or on a different plane of manipulation. the concept that you are outside of the manipulation may simply be a facade that is keeping you inside of it.

Bill said...

I agree with just about all of that, except for some of the last paragraph. What you are suggesting is a very deterministic argument, saying that my fate is unavoidable and that I am wholly influenced by my environment. This may or not be true--to see my thoughts on the subject, you should read "The BBC's four questions part 4."
As for blue laws--these are any laws that are influenced by religion. They are not just the laws giving people a mandatory break--they are also the ones banning polygamy, "obscene" language and film, gay rights, public nudity, and giving churches tax exemption. In the US we should be ashamed of these, since they obviously violate our separation of church and state. For more, I recommend you read "the problem with Christmas decorations" from November.

Brett said...

I was unaware of the true extent of blue laws! At this point, I primarily agree with everything you said, though I shall try to read the articles you just referenced so we're truly on the same page (or at least close to it.)