Friday, November 28, 2008

The Mumbai attacks

Though I don’t usually discuss current events on this blog, I feel I must talk about yesterday and today’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Unfortunately, the event will probably go down in history as what happens when security goes to pieces.

As usual, the American press largely ignored the event. Yesterday morning, when the worst of the violence was going on, the only thing on the major networks was the Thanksgiving Parade. In fact, I was only aware of the event because the BBC website was providing live updates. If I did not read the BBC every morning and night, I would not have even heard of the attacks until today. (Sadly, the violence is still going on, even as I write.)

What does this attack tells us? A few things, I think. Firstly, it reminds us that Al-Queda, though beginning to wane, is still a powerful and influential group. (Though it has not been proven that Al-Queda was behind these attacks, the gunmen targeted Westerners and left messages warning the Indian government to respect Muslim groups in India.) Next, I think the world must intervene in talks between India and Pakistan in the coming months; India’s PM Singh came very close to accusing Pakistan of being behind the attacks. We cannot allow relations between the these two counties to deteriorate—if President-elect Barack Obama is correct, the Waziristan region of northern Pakistan houses multiple terror cells which need to be eliminated. If India, our ally, is no longer on good terms with Pakistan, the Pakistani government may be even more reluctant to let us in. Finally, this is yet another reminder that India is far from stable. Despite multiple terrorist attacks last year and in 2006, they have been unable to provide better security. However, I have hope that the world’s largest democracy will prevail, and send a message to the East about how successful democratic government can be.          

I would also like to give my condolences to the families of those killed or wounded in these tragic attacks.

No comments: